On behalf of its founders, it is my pleasure to welcome everyone and share my message with you through this wonderful website of Eelo University (EU).It has only been 10 years when the doors of EU were officially opened, but the impact and influence it has in this region and beyond has been outstanding.
EU is dedicated to providing affordable and accessible high quality education that can best be described as “affordable excellence”. The university currently offers degree programs at the undergraduate level in the following fields of study:
- Faculty of computer Science & information technology
- Faculty of Engineering (Specializing in; 1. Civil engineering & 2.Telecommunications engineering),
- Faculty of Management Sciences,(specializing in Accounting, Management, Banking and Finance, project Management, Public Administration, economics, Marketing e.t.c)
- Faculty of Geology,
- Faculty of Agriculture.
- Department of continuing studies: Here we offer tailored short courses (Diplomas and certificate) in;
- Computer applications
- Information technology,
- English as a second language ,
- Human Resource Management
- Project Management.
- Agriculture (horticulture, poultry, dairy farming and goats and sheep multiplication)
- Vocational training skills tailored to needs (technicians in; mechanics, electricity, computers application/electronics, accounting, entrepreneurship e.t.c.)
- Eelo University Research Institute (EURI): We have a research institute that coordinates with all the above in the field of research & development. Currently research projects include;
- Food security and food multiplication; it is done in conjunction with the faculty of agriculture. we have a cassava pilot project on EURI Baki farm and a home yard farm (5 cassava stems in Mr. Buyera’s (Head of research team) Hargeisa residence)
- Drylands improved seeds research at EURI Baki; tomatoes, cabbage, onions, water melon, oranges, papaws, chili and potatoes.
- Research on the youth unemployment problem in Horn Africa
- Governance and ethics
- Taxation and taxation policy of Somaliland
- Peace building and conflict transformation in Somalia
EU is affiliated to Gulu University Uganda; our memorandum of understanding highlights on how to cooperate in academics. To share Post graduate programs, students’ teachers’ and exchange program, research programs.
In the last 7 years we have existed the university has transformed itself from a small establishment with 5 lecturers, few supporting employees and less than 150 local students to a gigantic institution with 1,048 students and 102 faculty and staff members. Currently, EU students are from Awdal, other regions of Somaliland, Somalia, East Africa, Middle East, Europe and North America.
The year of 2014 has a special significance to Eelo family and the community it serves. The first batch of students graduated from this dynamic university on September 8th 2011. It is a year where the first fully trained and qualified civil engineers and computer science degree holders graduated from a higher learning institution in Somaliland. In testimony to the quality of our educational programs, the graduating computer science students developed and presented various software programs that aroused great interest from all corners. Likewise, senior civil engineering and management science graduating students submitted senior design projects pertinent to their field as part of the fulfillment of their degree requirement.
I am in no doubt that many people including most of the hundreds of graduating high school students in Awdal Region and beyond are eagerly waiting to join this young, dynamic and rapidly growing University. We are very hopeful that you will take full advantage of the many higher education opportunities in technology and engineering available at EU.
If you are interested in getting more information, please come to visit EU offices in the heart of Borama City center, or send us email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We also encourage you to explore our website (www.eelouniversity.org) for detailed information. The more you learn about EU programs, the more you will see what sets us apart from other higher learning institutions in the country. As always, we welcome comments and suggestions. I must say it has been a privilege to serve this great university and I look forward to continue to do so for years to come. The EU family thanks all those who helped the university to be very best in pursuing academic excellence. With Best Wishes
Dr. Mohamud H. Egeh
Vice Chancellor, Eelo University